Ah! Now that it's been a couple of days...we are now officially a "settled in" family of 5. Maddy and Xan love to help with their baby brother, and mom and dad aren't getting a lot of sleep! Granted, Tommy did sleep for 7 hours last night, but he did want someone to be with him the whole time. I set up a "bed" on the couch and had him next to me, but needless to say, it wasn't the most restful sleep for me as I was worried about rolling over on him. I must have gotten some sleep as I'm not completely out of it today. Scott has been great and helps out a ton!
As far as the birth went, everything was good. We decided to do natural child birth, hypnobirthing, which was awesome. Scott and I took a class to learn about breathing and relaxation and how to deal with a drug-free birth. We went natural with Xan, but that wasn't by choice. However, the recovery was so awesome, we decided to do it again, but wanted help.
Here are the events of Saturday the 12th leading into the birth of Tommy.
On Saturday the 12th, around 9pm, our friends the Sokol's came over to see if I was still pregnant. We had just put the girls to bed, so I walked (let's be honest, I waddled) outside and sat down in one of our lawn chairs...my water broke! I sat there with a strange look on my face and my friend asked what was wrong, I said "I think my water just broke!" (thank you Kristin for helping me realize that it was my water and not me wetting my pants!) I went inside and let Scott know. We contacted the hospital and I let them know that my water broke and they told me to come right in. I also let them know that we were doing hypnobirthing and that if nurse Gretchen was working, we would love to work with her (again, thank you Kristin for the advice), or a nurse that is partial and familiar with natural childbirth. I also let them know that I hadn't been having regular surges (contractions), but they still wanted me to come in.
We had 2 real concerns, my doctor, Dr. Larsen, had been out of town from the 9th to the 12th so I really wanted him to be there as we had gone over our birth plans with him, plus he's the best OB in the universe! We also wanted nurse Gretchen there as well. Our prayers were answered! Dr. Larsen was back from his hiking trip up to King's Peak and nurse Gretchen was there as well.
We called my mom, who was going to be at the birth, Scott's parents, who were going to watch the girls, and our neighbor Jan, who would stay with the girls until Scott's parents got to our home. We woke the girls and let them know what was going on. They were so excited. We quickly packed bags for them and let Jan know the plans.
We left for the hospital...still no regular surges. I called my friend Jen to let her know what was going on. Scott and I were laughing and having a good time. We were both so excited for the birth of this child. I finally had a strong surge. 10 minutes later, another.
When we arrived at the hospital (around 10pm), nurse Gretchen met us. We got settled into our room...she hooked us up with the room with the jacuzzi tub (wicked)...I didn't get to use it as my surges went from 10 mins apart to 7 to 5 to 2 mins apart in a matter of 20 mins! We turned on our relaxation music and started getting our hypno-groove on. With each surge, I would take a big breath in, close my eyes, and release. I was dilated to a 6 when we had arrived to the hospital. I went from 6 to 9 centimeters with no issues. We were laughing and having fun and maintained a great atmosphere in the room.
9 to 10 centimeters was a different story...it took about an hour to get there, but it was really intense. My sweet hubby, nurse Gretchen, and my mom were so encouraging that I knew that I could do it. It was an intense hour (which seemed to go by relatively fast as I had to ask Scott how long it was for that 1 centimeter after Tommy came out).
You may be asking..."what made it so intense?" Our music had stopped and we forgot to turn it back on. Also, the baby's heart beat dropped dramatically twice, which freaked me out, so I wasn't in my "happy place." When we realized that the music was off and Gretchen had assured me that things were ok, we were able to get back on top of the surges and deal.
I FINALLY arrived to a 10, 3 pushes later, Tommy was here! Tons of hair and bright, wide eyes! Scott was able to cut the cord and Dr. Larsen put him on my stomach as we waited for the delivery of the placenta.
That was where the complication happened...my placenta didn't detach...I started to bleed out. I have never felt so much pain in my entire life as Dr. Larsen had to manually remove it. It was horrible and I certainly wasn't prepared for that! I have never seen so much blood in my life! As Scott said, it was like I had murdered someone... I was covered in blood and getting up from the bed to the bathroom...blood everywhere! OY!
Gretchen cleaned me up, and moved me to the recovery room (the only other room with a jacuzzi tub). Dr. Larsen was great and did an awesome job of letting us know what was going on with each move. Nurse Gretchen was so reassuring and helped keep us calm. By 3am...I was spent! I sent Tommy to the nursery, Scott home, and I went into an awesome, lortab induced sleep!
Other than that, everything went well. Tommy is healthy and for the most part, we hope, happy. The girls are loving having a baby brother, and Scott and I would like more sleep!
We want to thank everyone that has/is helping us transition from a family of 4 to a family of 5. We are grateful for all that we have and know how blessed we are!
Tommy moments after he was born.
Tommy and Dr. Larsen.
Tommy and big sis Maddy!!!
Xantha is finally a big sis!
Proud Grandma and her 2nd grandson!
9 comments:
Congratulations!! I love hearing "birth stories." I am amazed about the whole hypnobirthing...way to go! He sure is cute...I love his hair!
Oh My! He is adorable! I love his hair. Way to go on the natural birth. I look up to you for that. Good luck with everything and I can't wait to see the little guy.
awesome story missy. glad it all worked out. You are brave young lady. He is beautifulLLLL!LL!!!! Way to go.
Congradulations. He is such a cute little guy. I love the experience of New borns. Good luck!
He is adorable! Congratulations to you both.
Wow!! Scott told me you had your baby boy, but it wasn't until I checked your blog tonight that I knew just how AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL he is. I am serious. I have been oohhing and aawwing over him for 10 minutes. I've never seen a baby with so much blond hair! And those eyes. He really and truly is gorgeous!
It was interesting to read your birth story. It made me cringe. How awful. I'm glad it's over and you are all home and happy and Tommy is so cute!
Sorry it;s taken me so long to comment. You know how it is with a new baby around.
First off, I am so proud of you for hypnobirthing. Not the easy answer, but totally worth it. YOu are a champion AND Rock Star.
Secondly, so sorry about your complication. Not part of the plan. Glad you got though it with out any long lasting complications.
Lastly, Tommy is so handsome. I can't wait to watch him grow up. I know he and my little Sunny will be great friends.
I just can't get over how long his arms and legs are. Plus huge feet, and flip top mouth. He's a big'n he is.
In closing, you are awesome. I'm so glad you are my friend and that we have our babies togethers.
He is adorable! Thanks for calling today, so nice to hear your voice. We miss you! Give that baby a bottle and come visit us!
Missy, Tommy is gorgeous. Congratulations and way to go doing it without drugs. Getting the placenta out sounded like quite the chore. Hope you're feeling much better and adjusting to having 3 kids. It's a lot different than 2 isn't it? Get some sleep.
Post a Comment