- she left school
- she got into a car with a stranger
We had talked to her about strangers and thought that she understood. Scott dropped her off at school...she ran out of the car to the playground like she does every morning. Scott drove home and about 20 minutes later, there was a knock on our front door. It was one of the crossing guards from the school with Maddy.
Maddy had left school and was walking towards home (we live just about 1 mile from the school). She was crying and told the lady that she missed her dad.
Scott called me at work so I called the school...Mary, one of our neighbor's who is in our church, answered the phone. I let her know what happened and she asked that Scott bring Mads back to school. Scott loaded up the kids and Maddy, Mary, and the vice-principal met. Maddy still said that she missed her dad, but then she went back to class with no problem.
When I got home from work that night, we talked about it. I let her know that even if someone tells you that they are in her church, work at the school, her neighbor...she should never get into a car with them. We also told her that if she doesn't feel good or her feelings get hurt, that she shouldn't leave school, but go and talk to her teacher or go to the front office. We let her know how scared it made us and that we wanted her to be safe. She knows what she did wasn't safe. We let her know that we love her very much and gave her giant hugs and kisses.
We feel very lucky and know that she was being watched over. We know the lady that picked her up isn't a psychopath, but you never know! We are grateful to her for bringing her home.
So, if you think your kids understand what you talk to them about, think again! This was a real eye opener to us and now we know that we need to be super clear with our kids about what they should and shouldn't do.
A huge thank you to Mary for being kind enough to take the time to help find out what was wrong with Mads. We think that she didn't really miss her dad, but that she might have gotten her feelings hurt. We will never know, but we love Maddy very much and want her to be safe! We couldn't imagine our lives without her.
7 comments:
AUGH!! a parents nightmare for sure. I am so glad it turned out well. My cousins son did that last year but was walking along a highway 5 miles home when a stranger picked him up and thankfully took him toward home.
eeeeeekkkkk! sorry that happened to you, but hope you don't mind, we used it as a teaching moment for our kids (didn't name names...). It is scary, and sad that we live in a world where we freak out about things like that. But you did it right in loving her and teaching her.
PS,Tommy is darllling!
YIKES! I am so glad it all turned out okay. We will definitely sit down with our kids and have a review.
Our kids have graduated to the password. Even if they know the person, even if it's the bishop, they have to have the password to get the ok to go. Then we make it some really horrible word (like Fart!) that no psychopath would ever guess.
I'm glad she's safe!
This must have been so scary! I worry abou this sort of thing with Kaden now that he has started school. Being in a newer neiborhood, and a "non member" also makes it hard, everyone really is a stranger, for the most part! Thanks for stopping by my page. If you see or talk to anyone when you are in SLC, you need to tell them hi for me, I really miss everyone. It looks like your kiddos are all growing up so fast, I can't believe it.
Ummm HOLY SHNIKEES! Crazy!! I am so glad it was someone from the ward though! Poor Maddy! I'm just glad she's safe!
This is so scary! I keep having this talk with my son and he is in the "I'm invinciable" stage... He thinks he could run away fast enough if someone tried to grab him! I'm glad she is safe! You are right to keep reviewing it with your kids and hope they get the concept! Ugh!
Post a Comment